CutCo: A Knife's Story

Life's short, but it is never a steal..Make a run for it, make your life the most wonderful and beautiful it can be..You only have one life, don't you want it to be the best life ever?


"CutCo: The World's Finest Cutlery. This company started in 1949, has sold over $200 million worth of products, and has proudly served more than 15 million satisfied customers. "

Or is it?

Today, out of sheer curiosity, I visited Vector, a marketing cum training branch for CutCo located in Lewiston, ID. It's a very, very small office, to start with, and there was only 1 branch manager, named Tonya Demoss, and 1 assistant/receptionist when I first arrived there for my interview, which happened 2 weeks ago. How surprised was I, to find that there even existed such a company, a small office about 50 square ft (or even smaller) snugly hidden amongst the other shops that furnished the mall they call Savannah Plaza. (Truth be told, that place is smaller than Kai's and Shannon's and Tobias's house combined. Pst, pathetic) Well, on to the office...

The door has a big sign that reads "Vector". That's the name of the office, obviously, and they're there for the Summer season only--they're moving back to their "main" branch which is located somewhere in Montana or Utah. A small place, really, which no 1 has heard before. Hmmm...Reminds me of some place I know...Lewiston-wanna-be, in the making? haha..I don't know.. I stepped into the office, in FORMAL outfit, which means proper T and a long black pant which I wore to International Dinner, and found the office to be...Sparingly furnished. Or in other words, Simplistic Setup, which tells a lot about the office, really. Because from the way the office is decorated, you could really tell the effort, the passion placed into it, and the actual nature of the business. No doubt, this is one simple business build on a fundamental principle: to earn money. It's easy to comprehend, because if you spend too much on furnishing your makeshift office, how are you going to earn money? The money earned will be put into decoration and renovation and all that. Money earned = Money spent = ZERO. ZERO = BAD!!!!!

However, there's a silver lining in all this shrouded cloud.

I was actually employed! Well, not exactly employed because I can't work off-campus, but I was chosen to be a part of their "prestigious" training that has been professionally designed to produce highly efficient, highly effective, and highly productive workforce that will meet the society's demands. Wow...What an honor...

Anyway, I went there again today, after much trouble because I couldn't leave my post as assistant coach earlier. So I had to rush there at 3pm, good thing Tobias has a car, and I reached the dilapidated office at about 3.15pm--exactly 15 mins before my appointment with the branch manager. They explicitly, unequivocally, adamantly, strictly expressed the value they place on punctuality-- a very important lesson I have to learn if I want to get any job in the future, albeit the fact I'm always late for social congregations...But anyway, I've always been on-time recently, and Kai bears witness to this because I've always, on a daily basis, arrived at the tennis court exactly at 8.50am, neither sooner nor later, because he told me I should arrive 10 mins earlier so that I could hit with the lil kids. So I did, and I feel great I've been able to keep that up everyday. I dont' know why I like to procrastinate...Oh well..Something to improve upon I guess...

Wow..Such a long post, and I'm not even into the details yet! Ugh...

So I went for the training, and everyone was just about to leave. So I appeared to be the odd donkey in the horse's stable, sitting there by myself and trying as hard as I could to listen. I was too exhausted to even sit on the chair, let alone listen to what the branch manager has to say. Which she doesn't, by the way, as it was all about the company's reputation and all. I had no interest whatsoever in that, and I dismissed whatever interesting facts she had about the company that she tried to put across the room..Not interested, I thought. So my eyes wandered around the room, or sometimes I cast my cocasional blank stare at the notes she passed to me. Ugh, I felt so sleepy at the time, not that she has a somnolent voice or whatever, but the session was pretty boring, and I was just at the end of my tether to even care about what she had to say. Bad employee trait....ugh...

She approaced me after the training, and gave me a heads up on what happened ealier, trying to fill me in on the details of the training. Well, that was pretty brief, because I stayed there for only 30 minutes; the rest of the training group actually stayed there since 12pm, and they went home at about the same time I left too. Hahaha...I feel like a VIP :D

Anyway, I'm not going for the training tomorrow. No ride, and I can't work there either. So I don't think that'll be a productive endeavour. Oh well...Time to sleep..hahaa...

Night!!!!!Enjoy yourselves this weekend, and stay cool :D




0 thoughtful notes:

Post a Comment

Box4Thoughts

Number of "Heads" Arrived